- One Project Closer - http://www.oneprojectcloser.com -

DIY Pottery Barn Farmhouse Table

Posted By Ethan On April 2, 2013 @ 7:00 am In Featured Content,Furniture,Project Guides,Woodworking | 41 Comments

If you keep up with Jocie and The Better Half [1], you know that she’s been busy giving our dining room a makeover. She has done a great job, and so far Jocie has painted the walls, refinished an old buffet [2], created a very cool plate wall [3], and incorporated some furniture we just inherited. Well Jocie has been pining for a farmhouse table to go with the new decor, and she really liked the Keaton Dining Table from Pottery Barn [4]. Don’t bother clicking on that link. The PB table costs $1,600 + $100 delivery! That’s a bit out of our price range, and instead I built a Pottery Barn farmhouse table knockoff for about $400.

PBtable

The secret behind this DIY farmhouse table is that I purchased a table on Craigslist and built a new tabletop. How else could I have gotten table legs, latches, extension rails, screws and all the other hardware for only $60?!

DSC_0001

The legs and most of the molding were solid wood, and everything was a little worn. The damage was nothing that a little wood filler and sanding couldn’t resolve.

DSC_0002

I carefully labeled all the supports, extension rails and pieces of the table apron. I also took a few pictures to refer back to when it came time to reassemble everything.

DSC_0005

DSC_0007

After I cleaned up the rope molding and the rest of the apron, I gave the pieces to Jocie for her to paint. She’s been really pleased with Old White Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, and Jocie painted the pieces to match the buffet.

DSC_0013

DSC_0014

Surprisingly, the PB table has a pine top which is a relatively soft wood. I wanted something more durable, and most of the cost for this knockoff is due to the fact that I opted for an oak table top. If I’d gone with pine, it would have probably cost closer to $300.

I purchased a variety of 1x oak boards at my local HD, and I started by jointing the boards at my shop [5]. When Joe offered to help me joint the wood at his shop (on a jointer), I couldn’t refuse.

Photo-Feb-27,-2-58-10-PM

I ordered the boards with alternating wood grain patterns. That was another tip Joe gave me, and the argument is that it helps cancel out seasonal cupping. Here’s a look after jointing and cutting one side of the table to approximate length.

DSC_0044

Next, I used a biscuit jointer to cut slots for about 100 biscuits. All the table joints have four biscuits and the leaf joints have three biscuits.

DSC_0046

DSC_0045

Jocie wanted a small chamfered edge at all the joints so I ran the boards through my table saw.

DSC_0047

DSC_0048

Glue up was a slow process because I didn’t want to glue too many boards at the same time. I used Titebond II which is a water-resistant glue. Hopefully, water never makes it into any of the joints, but I didn’t want to take any chances.

Photo-Mar-12,-4-33-52-PM

Here’s a look at the two table sides and the leaf in the middle after glue up. If you remember my article about building a sled for my table saw [6], this was why. I needed to be able to trim the 30″ x 40″ sections after gluing.

Photo-Mar-22,-1-05-02-PM

Even though these are all 1x boards, there was quite a bit of variation, and I used a belt sander to even out the underside. Next, I cut lap-joints and glued and screwed a frame which gives the table top a thicker appearance, and it helps support all the glued joints.

Here you can see I’ve attached the extension rails. After that, I sanded the top of the table with a random orbital sander, progressing from 60 to 100, 120, 150, and 220 grit sandpaper.

Photo-Mar-26,-8-59-21-AM

Next, I stained everything with Rust-oleum Early American wood stain. The best part about this stain is that my tabletop was ready for poly in only 1 hour!

DSC_0164

I applied three coats of Rust-oleum satin polyurethane to protect everything. I expect this table will get lots of use so eventually I’ll need to reapply.

DSC_0165

DSC_0163

After finishing the wood, I glued and screwed the apron back in place and attached the legs. Jocie gave everything one last coat of paint, and the table was done! Now I just have to come to grips with the fact that the table is going to be used… by small children… sometimes with crayons.

DSC_0239

DSC_0242

DSC_0273

DSC_0260

DSC_0042

DSC_0297

DSC_0222

DSC_0253

DSC_0236a


Article printed from One Project Closer: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com

URL to article: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/diy-pottery-barn-farmhouse-table/

URLs in this post:

[1] The Better Half: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/thebetterhalf/

[2] refinished an old buffet: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/1970s-drab-to-2013-fab/

[3] plate wall: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/plastic-plate-wall/

[4] Keaton Dining Table from Pottery Barn: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/7948813/

[5] jointing the boards at my shop: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/edge-jointing-wood-without-a-jointer/

[6] building a sled for my table saw: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/how-to-make-a-table-saw-sled/

Copyright © 2011 One Project Closer. All rights reserved.