I am so excited to share with you these beautiful and EASY DIY Citronella candles! When we started using Young Living Essential Oils a couple of years ago, we also cut out candles. It was super hard because I love the smell of candles, but they are filled with carcinogens. Did you know the toxins released from paraffin candles are the same as those found in diesel fuel fumes? No, thank you.
In addition, being so much better for you, these DIY citronella candles are easy to make and can be so pretty! I had seen someone make candles using vintage glass and I loved them! But then, I was walking around Wal-Mart and found these Sundae Cups from The Pioneer Woman for under $4 and knew they would be perfect for my homemade candles. These are perfect for an outdoor BBQ or a summer hostess gift!
How to make DIY Citronella Candles:
1. Pour wax pellets in a microwave safe, glass container and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Then stir and reheat at 30 second intervals until COMPLETELY melted. You should see no particles of the wax pellets.
Tip: Fill whatever jar or glass container you are using to the brim with pellets. Once melted, it will be the perfect amount.
2. While you are microwaving the wax, put a dab of hot glue on the bottom of the candle wick and adhere it to the center on the bottom of your glass jar. This is to keep the wick in place once you add the wax.
3. Once wax is melted, stir in 40 drops Young Living Essential Oils (less or more depending on size of jar). I used a combination of Citronella, Purification, Lemongrass, and Peppermint. It smells amazing and does the job!
4. Pour the melted wax and Essential Oil into the jar with wick glued in place. Tape straws on each side of the wick to prevent the wick from moving or falling.
5. Wait until completely cool.
As Always, thanks for reading!