One of my favorite desserts to bake for company is Iced Lemon Pound Cake! I made my version last week for my first Essential Oils 101 class, using Young Living Essential Oil. It was a huge hit! The girls were a bit sad I didn’t bring any home for them, so I had to make a second cake the next day for the family.
I adapted the recipe from one of my absolute favorite food guru bloggers, Ann from On Sutton Place. Everything she bakes is just amazing! Her Starbuck’s knock-off Lemon Loaf is my favorite, but I made a few changes to make it a bit healthier.
First off, I mill my own flour. I know, I’m an inch away from full-blown hippy. But, seriously, its all the health benefits with all the good taste of the crappy processed white flour goodness. Secondly, I use coconut oil – so much healthier and when accompanied by strong flavors, you don’t taste to coconut. And lastly, my Young Living Essential Oil. Oooo so yummy and good for you!
I dare you to try this and not LOVE it! A few tips that I should share based on a friend’s recent fail in making it. Don’t over mix. Its okay to use a glass pan, it may just need to cook a little longer. Lastly, be sure your toothpick comes out completely clean.
- 1 3/4 c. milled soft wheat flour, or 1 1/2 c all purpose
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 c. organic sugar or sucanat
- 2 T. butter, softened
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/3 c. fresh lemon juice
- 8 drops of Young Living Lemon Vitality Essential Oil
- 1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
- Optional: 1 c. blueberries
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 2 T. milk
- 2 drops Young Living Lemon Vitality Essential Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour metal or glass 9x5 loaf pan, or use liners with cupcakes.
- Mill a heaping cup of wheat berries to produce a little over 1 1/2 c flour. Then whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla and lemon juice with a mixer.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add melted coconut oil and and Young Living Lemon Vitality EO. Mix well.
- Optional: Slowly stir in blueberries.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan or cupcake tins and bake for 45 -50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cook 20-25 min for cupcakes.
- Remove from oven and let set 3 minutes.
- While cooling, prepare glaze in a small bowl.
- Remove cake from pans, apply glaze, and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
What do you think? What are your tips for the perfect pound cake?
As always, thanks for reading!
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Products, ideas and techniques mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.