Strawberries and Cream Muffins have been a recent breakfast food in our house and are the perfect summer treat! I saw a recipe from Ann at On Sutton Place for Strawberry Coffee Cake and it looked so yummy. I’ve tried many recipes from Ann and all of them are always amazing.
So, I decided to try my own twist on the Strawberry Coffee Cake, making muffins instead and changing up some of the ingredients to make it a little healthier. I’m not against junk food, but I make muffins a couple of times a month for breakfasts and don’t want to girls too hyped up on sugar. 🙂
There are a couple of things I usually do to recipes to make them a bit healthier. First, I mill my own flour. I know, I sound a little crazy. I’m actually not that healthy. But it’s so easy, quick, and tastes so amazing!
Second, I use less sugar and an alternative to refined sugar, either sucanat or blue agave. Both are more natural sugars lower on the glycemic index. Blue Agave is also 25% sweeter so I am able to use less and it is healthier. Feel free to do your own research but both are super yummy!
I recently stopped by a local farmer’s market and picked up some amazing strawberries. But I’ve found sometimes they go bad quickly, so I love making muffins to use them up. I’m always on the hunt for new, healthy muffin recipes so feel free to send some my way if you have a favorite.
They were super yummy without the glaze too, but the glaze was LOVED by Ethan and the girls!
- 2 c. flour
- 1/4 c. Blue Agave
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 c. milk
- 3 oz. greek yogurt
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1 eggs
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 1/2 c. strawberries, diced
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix wet ingredients with mixer (not including the strawberries).
- In a separate bowl, wisk together dry ingredients.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet mixture just until blended.
- Gently fold strawberries into batter.
- Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake approx. 30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on Baking racks.
- While muffins are cooling, mix powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- While muffins are slightly warm, spoon glaze on top of muffins.
- Best served warm!
- If using sugar granules, use 1/2 cup of sugar and increase milk to 3/4 cup.
What do you think? What’s your favorite muffin recipe?